Is your body ready to handle this upcoming football season?
Are you going to be that guy nobody can catch? The guy who is killing everybody off the line ? The guy laying the hammer down on the field?
Everybody wants to be “that guy” on the field with crazy football speed.
How can you become “that guy”?
You can start by implementing these football speed drills immediately.
Here we go:
1. Getting that big jump off the line
The Trick: Staying low and exploding through your hips!
How Can I Get Better?
- Band Resisted Med Ball Take Off Drill
- Get a band and wrap it around either a solid pole or use a partner to resist you.
- Get a weighted medicine ball (preferably one you can throw without damaging it)
- Start in a low athletic stance with your power leg slightly behind your opposite leg.
- On “go” drive your hips forward fast and punch the ball forward as far as you can.
- Use the ball’s momentum to carry you forward and sprint 2-3 yards
- Explosive power
- Hip extension
- Take off form
Tip from the pros: The lower you stay the better. Be sure to launch the ball with your hips and not just your arms. Your power will skyrocket!
2. Make an Ankle Breaking Juke
The Trick: Setting your feet in the right spot at the optimal angle for you to drive force into the ground.
How Can I Get Better?: Sprint to Ball Drop Reaction Drill
- Get a partner and two tennis balls.
- Have your partner stand 10-15 yards in front of you with one tennis ball in each hand.
- Sprint at your partner
- Just before you get to your partner have him drop either the right or the left side ball.
- Plant your outside foot and make a break towards the ball and catch the ball.
Tip From the Pros: It’s all about where you place your foot and the bend in your knee. Find the angle that works best for you to drive the most force into the ground in the shortest amount of time by having your friends film you on their phones or with a camera.
- Lower body lateral power
- Faster reaction time for football speed
- faster cuts on the field
3) Coming Downhill to Lay A Hit
The Trick?: Transitioning from your backpedal to a forward sprint fast!
How Can I Get Better? Band Resisted Backpedal to Sprint Reaction
- Get a partner, a band and 3 cones
- Start by facing your partner with both of you inside the band.
- Set 3 cones behind your partner about 10 yards away. One to the right, one to the left, and one directly behind him.
- On “GO” start your backpedal with your partner resisting you.
- Your partner will yell “Left”, “Right” or “Middle”
- Transition from the backpedal and sprint to the designated cone as fast as you can.
Tip From the Pros: The more you use your hands the better. Use your arms to switch your momentum from backpedal to going forward.
- Downhill quickness (huge for linebackers!)
- Ability to come transition from backpedal to going forward.
- Sprint Form
4) Breaking Away From The Pack
The Trick? Being able to punch through holes and sprinting efficiency.
How Can I Get Better? Medicine Ball Slams to Cone To Sprint
- Set up 5 cones in a zig zag fashion about 5 yards apart and 15 yards in distance.
- Get a weighted med ball (one that you can slam)
- Start on 1 foot at cone # 1
- Bound over from cone to cone and slam the ball outside of your foot at each cone.
- On the last cone slam the ball away from your body and take off into an all out sprint.
Tip From The Pros: Use your upper body and slam the ball away as fast as you can before you take off into your sprint. Make this a habit and it will transfer over to the field and allow you to break away from the pack with ease.
- Lateral Power
- Running efficiency
- explosiveness when carrying the ball (running backs i’m talking to you!)
5) Setting That Game Winning Block
The Trick? Moving your feet in place and always staying in position.
How Can I Get Better? Ladder Drill With Med Ball Punches
- Get a speed ladder, partner and a medicine ball
- Go through the ladder performing the “icky shuffle” and keep your head up
- As you move through the ladder your partner will be randomly tossing you the ball at chest height.
- Catch the ball and punch it back to your partner while maintaining your footwork pattern.
Tip From The Pros: Start slow! It might take 5-10 reps until you can do this smooth. Take your time and learn how to separate your upper body from your lower body while moving.
- Separation of upper and lower body movement effeciency
- Foot Speed
So there you have it. Practice these 5 football speed drills and you are on your way to breaking ribs and records!
Facebook: Xcleration Sports LLC